In 1614, Adrian Block, a Dutch explorer, discovered a point of land the Siwanoy Indians called Monakewego. Today, it is known as Tod’s Point. On July 18, 1640, Elizabeth Feake and nine settlers led by Daniel Patrick purchased this land and neighboring tracts from the Siwanoy tribe for “twentie-five coates.”
Greenwich Point was not always connected to the mainland. After Scottish banker J. Kennedy Tod purchased the two islands in 1884, he constructed a causeway to connect the two islands to each other and to the mainland. The 147-acre peninsula became known as Tod’s Point. Technically speaking, Greenwich Point consists of glacial till deposits resting on a bed of gneissic granite.
Lucas Point didn’t exist at the time. In the late 1800’s, Edwin J. Lucas, an enterprising businessman, saw the possibility of creating land jutting into Greenwich Cove. He contracted for rock and fill from what was to become the New York subway system. The material was transported here by barge, horse and wagon and used to form the perimeter of Lucas Point. It appears that the enclosed area was then filled with “organic silt” excavated from the cove and covered with topsoil.
About the turn of the century, Lucas and a few other builders began to construct a summer colony of large “cottages” on Tod’s Driftway. Many of these early houses still exist today. A brochure offering sites for sale in 1913 describes our neighborhood as Greenwich Cove in Sound Beach, Connecticut, “a cottage colony surrounded on all sides by the waters of L.I. Sound and Greenwich Cove.” He later modestly renamed it Lucas Point.
Lucas Point was formally incorporated in Connecticut on July 30, 1942. Edwin Lucas died in 1946. At the request of his heirs, the Lucas Point Association adopted zoning and other regulations in 1947-51 and assumed independent responsibility for its affairs.
Meanwhile in 1944, the Town of Greenwich purchased Greenwich Point from the trustees of the Presbyterian Hospital for $550,000. We are fortunate to live so 5 near one of our town’s most precious natural resources. It was opened to the general public in 2002.